Tuesday, November 17, 2009
Sunday, November 15, 2009
Wednesday, October 28, 2009
Tuesday, June 16, 2009
Sunday, May 10, 2009
I enjoyed a wonderful brunch with family at our local Elk's Club this morning. When we left they had already served 320! What a wonderful meal we enjoyed.
My mother died six years ago. I have wonderful memories and think of her each day.
Wednesday, April 29, 2009
Monday, April 27, 2009
My husband gave me flowers for my birthday in March. I told him he didn't need to wait for a birthday - he could get them for me anytime. So......fresh flowers quite often. So special!
What Exactly Are "Pussy Willows"?
Pussy willow trees are native to wetlands of Canada and the eastern U.S. As a willow, the trees are part of the genus, Salix. The terminology pussy willows is used loosely to refer both to the trees themselves and to the furry buds on its branches (also known as "catkins"). However, to make a distinction, I refer to the former as "pussy willow trees" and to the latter as "pussy willows." The Latin name for these trees in North America is Salix discolor, while its rough equivalent in Europe, the "goat willow," goes by the scientific moniker, Salix caprea. Technically, Salix discolor is a deciduous shrub that can reach a height of twenty feet, if not pruned properly. Indeed, as will be revealed on Page 2, pruning back Salix discolor to a typical "shrub" size is central to its maintenance as a landscape plant.
But for an exact identification, we must narrow it down even further. Pussy willows are dioecious. There are male pussy willow trees and female pussy willow trees. The buds, or catkins, on the male pussy willow trees look different from those on the females. The male catkins are showier, and it is the branches of the male trees that we seek for their "pussy willows." The catkins of males yield numerous tiny staminate flowers later in spring. From the decorator's perspective, it is at this point that the bouquet has "gone by." Likewise, the female catkins will bear pistillate flowers.
Sunday, April 26, 2009
Wednesday, April 8, 2009
Are you looking for a special gift - birthday, Mother's Day, Father's Day? Are you thinking about Christmas 2009 already? Do you collect anything?
Check out North Country Neighbors in Potsdam. There are thousands of items to choose from. I don't know where to start! Toys, tools, furniture, purses, clothing (name brands including Christopher Banks, Coldwater Creek, H & M, Old Navy, American Eagle), jewelry, pottery, dishes, CDs, DVDs, books, old records, coins, antiques, baskets, locally hand designed cards, pictures.....
Please stop in and check out the ever changing displays. It's a real treasure!
North Country Neighbors connects craft, antique, and junque vendors with their customers. All can expect friendly and honest service in a relaxing and enjoyable atmosphere.
North Country Neighbors
6 Main Street - Potsdam, NY 13676(315) 268-1055
Friday, February 13, 2009
- Whoever shall faithfully serve me by the recitation of the Rosary, shall receive signal graces.
- I promise my special protection and the greatest graces to all those who shall recite the Rosary.
- The Rosary shall be a powerful armor against hell, it will destroy vice, decrease sin, and defeat heresies.
- It will cause virtue and good works to flourish; it will obtain for souls the abundant mercy of God; it will withdraw the hearts of people from the love of the world and its vanities, and will lift them to the desire of eternal things. Oh, that souls would sanctify themselves by this means.
- The soul which recommends itself to me by the recitation of the Rosary, shall not perish.
- Whoever shall recite the Rosary devoutly, applying himself to the consideration of its Sacred Mysteries shall never be conquered by misfortune. God will not chastise him in His justice, he shall not perish by an unprovided death; if he be just, he shall remain in the grace of God, and become worthy of eternal life.
- Whoever shall have a true devotion for the Rosary shall not die without the Sacraments of the Church.
- Those who are faithful to recite the Rosary shall have during their life and at their death the light of God and the plentitude of His graces; at the moment of death they shall participate in the merits of the Saints in Paradise.
- I shall deliver from purgatory those who have been devoted to the Rosary.
- The faithful children of the Rosary shall merit a high degree of glory in Heaven.
- You shall obtain all you ask of me by the recitation of the Rosary.
- All those who propagate the Holy Rosary shall be aided by me in their necessities.
- I have obtained from my Divine Son that all the advocates of the Rosary shall have for intercessors the entire celestial court during their life and at the hour of death.
- All who recite the Rosary are my children, and brothers and sisters of my only Son, Jesus Christ.
- Devotion of my Rosary is a great sign of predestination.
Monday, February 9, 2009
Have regular hours for work and play; make each day both useful and pleasant, and prove you understand the worth of time by employing it well. Then youth will be delightful, old age will bring few regrets, and life will become a beautiful success.
~Louisa May Alcott~
Thursday, February 5, 2009
Wednesday, January 28, 2009
This is a nice verse.